Thursday 21 August 2014

Laughing at Gamer Girls: Portrayals in Comic Culture

I decided to continue comic-hunting this week and I thought we could share a few laughs over the English version of "Living with Hipster Girl and Gamer Girl." As you can imagine, this comic has gotten the full range of reader commentary from raving reviews to scathing complaints, maybe stemming from the fact that the girls are sexy and the author is a man. Anyway, these may not jive with everyone's sense of humo(u)r but I thought I'd post them as food-for-thought on the public image of gamer girls.

Funny or not? Accurate or not? The main question I'm interested in today is: what kind of portrayal is worth getting upset about? What kind of image are women gamers trying to make or break? Where do we draw the line when it comes to "gamer humor"? And when do we think things are just plain funny, without worrying about whether or not they're PC? Let me know what you think!

(Sexual content, just to warn you if you're at work or anything...also, I apologize about the different image sizes which I couldn't fix using this blog template. Luckily all of the originals can be found on the website above!)




































Quick intro: The redhead is the hipster, the brunette is the gamer and the guy with the black hair is the self-declared non-emo roommate. Each character gets made fun of throughout the series but each one has some slick one-liners too.















































No comments:

Post a Comment